Sunday, August 24, 2008

bourbon, pisco, and absinthe, oh my


Last night we had a fun "oh yeah, we live in San Francisco!!" night. First, SJ and I ate at Golden Era, the veggie Thai place. The fake chicken is really good. Of course, mine was fried..and you could fry a shoe and I'd like it. But, really, that is my favorite veggie restaurant.
Then we met Rani & Andrew at our now new favorite place, Bourbon & Branch. We've heard great things about it from friends, so it was really nice that it lived up to the hype. First drink for me? A Pisco Sour. Now, Pisco and I have been friends ever since Christina brought a bottle back as a gift when she went to Peru. I love Pisco...it reminds me of drunken nights when I first met my wife and we were all crazy up there in the hills of Glen Park. We used to mix it with cranberry juice. We didn't know it was a brandy. Oh well...it tasted good.

SJ and Andrew started out with a Corpse Reviver #2. Absinthe and gin? Why, yes, thank you. Rani had a whiskey drink named after a year. 1792? 1951? I don't remember, but she liked it. More drinks were had as our table reservations were up and we moved to the "Library" room. It was pretty crowded, so we drank up and moved on.
We were about to head home when Andrew suggested one more at The Gold Dust Lounge. At first I was creeped out because a drunk dude stood right behind me for a long time, and I could basically feel his drunkness permeate into the back of my neck. Ew.

Before we knew it, the "other gay" in the room gravitated towards us. His name was Max and he is a flight attendant from Burbank. Girlfriend has nice eyebrows and a penchant for pulling up his shirt to flash his nipples. We keep telling him that he needed to take his gay self to the Castro, where his nipple flashing would be better appreciated. He wanted us to go with him, but it was 11:30, and like I told him, we turn to pumpkins at midnight (and the BART stops running.) Rani ("oh my god you look like Janice Dickinson!!"--Max) and Andrew offered to take him over there. Soldiers, I tell you!!! So, we parted ways at Powell Street Bart, and went home to crawl into bed with our fur kids.
What happened to Max, the flight attendant with social nipples? I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning. I'm hoping there are pictures.

1 comment:

Rani said...

I'm not sure what happened to Max after we left him 2 or (3?) bars later, but I have a feeling he was on a mission to used the phrase, "welcome aboard" to a stranger later in his hotel room.