Saturday, August 16, 2008

the lioness is 50


Happy birthday to Madonna, who turns 50 today. Even though we broke up about a year ago, I still care about her, so wish her the best.
But seriously, I feel a little disappointed about Madonna, version 2008. When I read things like, "my thighs are skinnier now than they've ever been" and "I'll never get fat, never!!!" I worry a little about her. What happened to the message of Express Yourself? She is so extreme in her appearance right now, that I feel a little bit sorry for her. If she had a little bit more softness to her, I think she'd look so much better. Her face is gaunt, and her arms (and I LOVE VEINY ARMS) are so, so muscular and veiny that they scare me a bit. She's like a knife right now...all sharp edges. Don't be scared to get a little bit soft Madonna, you'll look less like a rickedy old lady, trust me.
Back in the day, I loved me some Madonna like mad. I've seen her in concert...is it 4 times now? The first time was my high school graduation present...my mom sent me and my friend to Dallas to see the Who's That Girl Tour. I remember being outside of the place early, and you could hear her rehearsing, and I was all atwitter. I think I was 17. I totally remember what I wore...black shorts, a black tank top, and a white button-up shirt over the tank top. I think I had Chinese Laundry shoes on. Fast forward to 2006, San Jose. Confessions on a Dancefloor Tour. It was really fun. William and Ron had flown in from Albuquerque and Lony and Chelsea went. We danced, danced, danced.
But lately, I'm not feeling it. I've been let down by her music, especially her lyrics. I don't even listen to her newest album. Her video with Justin Timberlake made me gag a little. But you know what...that's okay. Madonna was my hero when I needed a hero. Madonna and Cyndi Lauper adorned my walls and got me through the tough times. So, Madonna, here's to you at 50. May you, as Lony always says, "eat a sandwich" and live long and prosper.
The picture you see on the post represent my favorite Madonna. I'll never forgot seeing the Girlie Tour (on TV) and watching her walk out in those boots. Nope, I'll never forget that.

No comments: